Friday, December 18, 2009

Windshield Repair

So here's a picture of what my windshield was doing. Those are my fingers coming through from the interior. The whole driver's side of the windshield was pretty much coming up from the seal. Besides being a huge safety hazard there was terrible wind noise in the cabin anywhere above 40 mph.


I called a few places and Safelite said they would try and save the glass and repair it for $75, but no guarantees that the glass wouldn't break. If it did break I would have to pay for the full replacement price of $200. I figured that's fair and set up for a replacement on Thursday. I was in for the $200 but was hoping for the best.


Glass Removal. The safelite tech Walter was pretty cool and did a good job. He was able to just void the receipt for the replacement glass and reuse my old one! I was stoked. It was pretty new and it looked like it was just replaced, only not installed right....


M3 without a windshield pic. So this is the second time that the first thing I've done to my new car is replace the windshield. Driving my TT home from the dealer 2 years ago resulted in a cracked window. What's the deal?


Walt prepping the old glass.

Funny thing about this whole repair was that the previous owner had mounted an XM radio deep up in the front of the dash. You can see the residue from the sticky pad in this picture. The only way I was going to get that off cleanly was, well, by removing the windshield! Funny how things work out. Felt so good to get that nasty thing off.


In the end worked out $25 cheaper than if I would've made up some bs to State Farm. So I was happy paying only $75.


Of course I forgot to take a picture when it was done or go over anything interesting about window sealant and primer and all the tools that he used to remove it. Nothing changed in the appearance but now its just installed correctly this time and that little sticky pad is gone! Overall I was happy with Safelite and there is a lifetime warranty on the workmanship for the time that I own the car.

4 comments:

Renewittoday said...

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not that good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he enjoyed it as well!

Mobile auto scratch repair

Pink said...

Thank you!

Henerykelin said...

Nice blog, very nice information you have shared. We have experienced car glass repair experts in La Mirada. We have done successful safelite windshield glass repair for our clients in La Mirada.
safelite glass La Mirada

HVAC Contractors Manhattan said...

Thank yoou for being you

Post a Comment