Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cabin Filter Replacement

The cabin filter is one of the first things I replace when buying a used car. Who knows what kind of crazy shit is locked up in there. The e36 is also notorious for having a very weak air output when the filter is dirty. I picked the paper filter up at BMA Parts for $12.95 or something around there. I'm not sure if the dealer is charcoal, I didn't really care.

I used this tutorial as my guide:

Cabin Filter DIY
Part # Microfilter: 64-11-9-069-895

It's pretty detailed. I don't have too much to ad except for the fact that you cannot simply just pull out the old filter and put in the new one. There are blocks of wiring connectors interfering with a smooth installation of the filter. On the filter there are areas that you can crack so that the filter bends. I had to basically fold the thing in a tri-fold to get it in there. Once it's in, it's in though. I can't imagine a way of getting it in there without bending or folding it.


Particular to my car, there were no screws holding the kick panel in. It's pretty wedged in there so I guess there is no need really for the screws. Also when taking the panel down I noticed the dealer installed keyless entry! I didn't get the remote for this in the sale. I will probably call BMW and see if they can fashion me a new one based off the serial number on the unit.


I also took the time to remove the XM satellite radio antenna which was glued to the dash and wired under here.


The infamous old filter vs. new filter shot. It's possible that it's a carbon filter, but either way it was dirty as hell and had a bunch of old leaves trailing behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment