Tuesday, June 14, 2011

E36 Fuel Pump Replacement DIY, Easy

Date: 05/04/11
Mileage:147,000

So in the pursuit of my no-start issue I replaced the fuel pump. If I wasn't in such a hurry to get moving again I would've done the tests described in the bentley to make sure my pump was working. I figured 147k miles was enough and it needed a new pump anyway. I found one for much less than the other places through BMA Parts.

So here's how it's done. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Pull the back bottom seat cushion out. It just pops out. Here you can see where the fuel pump is.


Pull back the rubber flap on the passenger side.


4 screws hold the plate in.


There will probably be a bunch of dirt and debris. Vacuum that bad shit out while you're down there. Remove the connecting plugs and loosen the hose clamp on the feed line. It may be under pressure so put a towel around it while you pull it off the pump. Put a stopper in the hose or prop it up so fuel doesn't keep coming out. The pump is secured with a lock ring. I used a flat head screwdriver and a mallet to loosen the lock ring. Now would be a good time to put out your cigarette if you haven't blown up already.

Old fuel pump should come right out once the lock ring is freed up. Wiggle it out to maneuver the level sender through the hole. Here's what mine looked like.


Maybe it was time for a new one. Make sure to also pull out the old rubber sealing ring. BTW I did this with about a half tank of gas.


Now it's as simple as just putting in the new one with new sealing ring.



There are a couple things to remember. Make sure the level sender is moving freely. I forgot to do this. After installing everything my gas gauge read dead on empty and would not move. I realized the fuel level sender was wedged behind that metal pole sticking down. Make sure it moves. The float will start floating as you put it in. If that doesn't happen, it's stuck.

Also I found a good way to get torque on the lock ring. Banging it shut with a screwdriver wasn't really working so I used a flat plastic trim tool to leverage against the little nubs.


This worked like a charm. I was able to get a couple full turns more from this tool.


So that's pretty much it! Put it all back together and you're done! Unless you're me and your CPS is really why your car doesn't start and not your fuel pump. Either way new fuel pump never hurt anyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saw your pictures on your e36 DIY fuel pump. i think mines has gone dead on my 1995 bmw 325is and was wondering if there is any lines that is supposed to connect to the 2nd nozzle on your fuel pump. mines looks identical to yours with only 1 line connected to it, but i've seen on pictures online where there is 2 lines connected to the fuel pump. i also have one rubber line connected to the top of my fuel gauge sender unit which is located under the opposite seat cover. please help me out, what year is this coming from? i have a 1995 bmw 325is. thanks

Pink said...

On 95 Blue top only one line feeds out/in to the pump. The other hole is a vent hole or something. So it should look like the pictures.

Post a Comment