Tuesday, June 14, 2011

E36 M3 Knock Sensor Replacement DIY, Not So Easy

Date: 05/03/11
Mileage: 147,000

So after I initially broke down my car was throwing the code 1226. Which is "Failed Knock Sensor #2." Instead of realizing this code was just stored in the computer for about a year now, I took it as the cause of my no-start situation. I ordered 2 knock sensors from RMEuropean for about $65 a piece. I figured I would do both while I'm in there.

I had read on BFC that you can do #2 (the rear most KS) without removing the intake manifold. Honestly this is bullshit and you have to remove it. Unless you have removed every single other thing down there already, broken factory clips and don't care about torquing things down correcting, and have tiny monkey hands, (my hands are already not big), then maybe you could do it. But honestly it just takes another 20 minutes to pull the intake manifold off. Just do it, it sucks, but makes life a lot easier.

So this is what I was dealing with. Car got dropped off in the street by the tow truck. At least it was under a tree!


So the first sensor is pretty easy. All you need to do is really remove the alternator ducting tube and intake.


It's just behind the ICV. This extension basically shows the location of the first knock sensor. You don't have to do much, you can easily use a torque wrench at this point.


I pulled the first sensor out and it looked fine. Of course my problem was the KS#2 but I thought I would replace it anyway. It looks like someone already did the easy one. Oh well, I sold it for $40.

Next up is the bitch sensor. Like I said there is no real way to get the bracket off that protects the sensor without removing the intake manifold. Next step, remove the intake manifold. To do this, remove the fuel lines from the fuel rail and every other thing that is attached to the manifold. The front 6 nuts are easy to loosen, the rear most nut is the bitch. I had to get in there with a 11mm open end wrench and get my hand under the manifold and remove it slowly. Not sure how else you can get that nut off.


To remove the entire manifold I also loosed the wiring harness cover that is under the cowl. This helped as I ripped it out and placed it out of the way.

Gratuitous shot of my baller chrome pink top injectors.

While you're down there, it would be a good time to clean the ICV if you haven't done that already. Ok, so here is the shot of the bracket that is covering the rear knock sensor.


With the manifold removed it's easy enough to remove this bracket. I think it is 2 13mm bolts. Underneath the bracket you can see the cracked up knock sensor that has been throwing faults.


Remove this guy and remember which plug it's plugged into. Last thing you want to do is plug it into the CPS or something. It can be easy to confuse when you're removing things so label your harness or be conscious of it.

So here's some shots of what were working with.




Obvious why it wasn't working. Here's a shot of the old one and new one side by side.



Funny thing is that the knock sensor #1 looked just like this new one here. There was little wear on it. This leads me to believe that KS#1 was changed with the last 20k miles or so. Makes sense because it's easy to change out. Not the same for #2. That looks about as old as the car itself.

When reinstalling everything the torque value on the knock sensors themselves is very low. Like 12ft-lbs or something. They just barely tighten to the block. If you haven't put in new intake manifold gaskets in a while, like never, I would do that too.

Impressions are that the car pulls a little more solid now. Before there would be a flat spot in the beginning but now that is all smoothed out. I recommend doing this if you are throwing the code.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I've been seeing the same CEL blinks and 1226 code and about to change my knock sensor #2, I was just wondering if the swap you did fixed the 1226 error and whether or not the CEL light has come back afterwards?

Appreciate the info!

Pink said...

Yes it fixed the code and has not come back. #2 is just a little harder to get to but no more hesitation!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pink!

Pablo Arroyo said...

Great! next weekend I'll do it! Thanks!

pooley_99 said...

Hey Pink, nice thread. I just bought a 318ci here in the UK. Got the orange engine management light on. Got the fault codes PO325 and PO330. Both correspond to the knock sensors! So looks like i need to replace both. Do you know if its the same job to swap out on the 4cyl 8v engine? Intake manifold of etc? Thanks dude.

pooley_99 said...

off*

Pink said...

Hey Pooley,

It's probably much easier on a 4cyl. I've never worked on that motor, but I would just take a look at where they are. You might be able to leave the manifold attached since it's a smaller motor. Might be more room for your hands. Good luck!

Pink

pooley_99 said...

hey Pink,
I Stripped the throttle body off and all the other gubbins to reveal... The plug hanging down off the wiring! Result!!! I would of had to take off the inlet to get at the sensors tho. It sounded weird when fired her back up also, very throaty and missing, then it calmed down. Maybe the ECU sorting itself out with the sensors back in.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Unknown said...

318i e36 m42 1995 knock sensor i took mines out both of them , but my question is do thy go a specific position i removed them with out marking old position ?

Anonymous said...

would a bad knock sensor cause a crank but non start no fire

Pink said...

No, the knock sensor won't cause that. That was my problem in the end. Just a bad crank position sensor.

Anonymous said...

Quick question.
Are these sensors both the same? (same part number)

Great DIY btw, Gonna try to change mine soon.

Pink said...

They are the same part number.

Unknown said...

You’ve been into a lot of work, Pink! Good thing you’re quite knowledgeable with car parts and accessories. Thanks for sharing this post, by the way. It will be a great reference to those who would need to do a quick fix on their car. Have a great day!

Diane Wilson @ Fletcher Chrysler

Post a Comment