Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It runs! CPS Sensor is the Culprit

Date: 05/10/11
Mileage: 147,000

So real quick, my no-start issue was in fact the crank position sensor. I ordered a new sensor from BMA Parts. I went with a Meyle over the original AB Electronic. Pelican had rated AB as poor and I've had good luck with Meyle. First thing I did was measure the ohm resistance on the Melye sensor and it was around 740. 200 more than the 540 rating in the Bentley....I have no idea what that means but it is functional unlike the old one.


Getting to this thing sucks. There is no real easy DIY on this thing. I was working with little to no day light left and I needed to drive my car in the morning so I used the, "Git 'er done," method.


Basically I moved the coolant expansion tank out of the way and pulled the radiator hose off of the thermostat housing. About a half liter of coolant will come out. Oh well. This gave me enough room to get a hex head socket in there and get that bitch out.

Only problem was that it had made a home in there. I would have used a pry bar to remove it if I had one. It took about 15 minutes of PB Blaster and yanking on it to get it out. There was just no good way to get a grip on it from that angle. Like I said, "Git er done," method.


Once I finally pulled it out I was able to put the new one in easily enough and torque it down. I rerouted the wire a little differently because I did not remove the t-stat housing which it goes under. I will tiddy everything up when I do the water pump, but good news, it fired right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment