Monday, May 2, 2011

CEL 1226: Failed Knock Sensor and Stranded on the 110


So I had been getting the 1226 Check Engine Light intermittently here and there. It first showed up after a long period of rain. The light was on solid for about a month without any ill effects to the engine. The light then disappeared only to reappear briefly between 1st and 2nd gear shifts. As the light would come on the engine would cut out on throttle. The light would go away after lifting.

I had read that the 1226 code (Failed Knock Sensor #2) could mean both knock sensors as well as the o2 sensor and sometimes a fault in the alternator. Well either way my car completely died on the freeway Saturday on the way to my Improv show at the UCB. The ignition had completely cut out and sure enough the same code came up after a quick stomp test.


I was able to get a tow to my show just in the nick of time. AAA dropped it off at a gas station near by. My show went well and I then called them again to tow it to my house. 2 tows in one day. Good thing I have AAA plus rated for 4 tows a year up to 100 miles each.

I ordered two new sensors from RMeuropean and I'm going to tackling this tomorrow. Looks to be a little difficult if you don't remove the intake manifold. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment