Sunday, December 13, 2009

Manual HVAC Bulb Replacement (1995)

So I had heard the 1995 m3 HVAC controls were basic compared to the later models. When I first drove the car back from San Diego the main knobs did not illuminate. I thought, man that is basic. I then realized that there was a light back there like any car to light up the knobs. This is a very easy DIY. It's actually a little more difficult in say the mkIV Jetta where you have to be very careful removing and installing the bulb. This car? not so much....

Part # Bulb: 63-21-7-167-000

I believe this is a pretty common bulb. You could probably take it out and go to Autozone and match it up. I got mine at BMA parts.

Picture of the small lights coming on but the main console not illuminating.


First step just pull the knobs off. They don't have to be in a particular position. They come off pretty easy. Don't worry about mixing up the different knobs. They are two of the same.


You'll see two philips head screws. Remove those.


Now use something plastic to pop the face out. Don't use a flathead screwdriver or something metal that will mess the face up. The small buttons will stay put.


Picture of the busted light.


This picture is pretty lame, but that's a Q-Tip in that little grated hole. After I cleaned that out I blew it with some compressed air. I'm not sure what the sensor behind there does, but I believe it measures the ambient temperature for the auto mode....which the 95 doesn't have.


Now simply pull the bulb out with your fingers and put the new one in there. It was so simple I didn't take pictures. Other cars I've done, where the bulb is stubborn, I've had to cut a small slit in a piece of fuel hose to secure the bulb while pressing it into it's base. You could also be very careful with some needle nose pliers, but for this car you can simply use your fingers.


Once you plug the new bulb in, test it before buttoning everything back up. But it should look like this when you're done. Yay light!

No comments:

Post a Comment