Friday, March 29, 2013

I believe I can Fly. MA Shaw E36 M3 PTG EVO Rear Wing

Sometime around the end of 2012 I opened bimmerforums to see a MA Shaw PTG EVO wing with cosmos mettalic trunk for sale in Laguna Hills. Well how about that? I have a comos metallic M3 and aren't we going down to Laguna Beach today to see some friends?

It turns out this is Dan Wennerberg's wing from his IP car of Pure Performance. I love getting parts that have race history/energy already in them. If you've ever bought some race parts from Dan you know he's a good guy with reasonable prices.


A big part of the sale for me was that it came with the trunk. I could keep my stock lid and not have to worry about installation, drilling holes etc. For this reason it was a pretty simple install.



A little information about the wing. You can buy it here. This one is full carbon fiber and weighs 12lbs. It is adjustable to 3 positions. MA Shaw makes the best replica from what I've read. I would stay away from DTM fiber works replica. VAC always makes great products and they sell one too. I haven't heard if their quality is good or bad.

My car is this kind of hybrid track/street car so I kept the inner toolkit and carpet. It weighs 3lbs 6oz for anyone wondering. I weigh a lot of things.


I weighed the rest of the stuff but can't find the pics. I think the trunk lid weighed 22lbs and together it was 34lbs.

Like I said there was nothing to the installation. Just put the other trunk on and adjust each side about 50 times until it lines up. I did a test fit and decided I liked the sticker placement he had on there so I filed that idea away for later. It's of course no secret that YOU HAVE TO put a sticker on the bottom side of the wing.


I removed the stickers to give it a full cleaning and polish.





The black matched perfectly. (Black generally isn't the hardest color to match.) Here's a quick polishing overview of the different pads and compounds I used. I'm hardly a pro and I learned all this stuff on bimmerfoums. So there are thousand products and ways to buff your car but this is generally a thorough 4 step method after cleaning and clay bar. Cutting power of the pad and polish can move up and down in range but essentially the Menzerna line and Lake County pads give a good range. I used a Portal Cable which doesn't cut very much and won't burn the paint. It's hard to get out deep stuff. I'm going to try a Flex next.


Step 1 Orange/Yellow Lake County Pad and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish



 Step 2 White Pad and Super Finish



Step 3 Black Pad and Finishing Glaze



 Step 4 Red Pad and Power Lock Sealant or Wax.


Like I mentioned earlier I liked the sticker placement Dan originally had on there so I ordered a BMW Motorsport decal from Acromann. 34" in width and created my number 27 here at work. I like the way it turned out. M Power would also work and be taller if you made it 34" wide.


Acromann has everything. They're in China and it will take almost a month to get your sticker. If you have the ability to print it yourself I would just do that. The font is Helvetica.

So needless to say it gets more attention than I need on the street, but hey, it looks like it can fly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment