Tuesday, November 29, 2011

E36 M3 Alignment Perfect Auto

After all the front suspension work the alignment was all out of whack. I took it to my guys Perfect Auto for an alignment. It's about $70 which is cheaper than anywhere else I could find and they know BMWs and will let you put it at whatever numbers you want.


Obviously camber is set, so the first thing I noticed is that with the 96-99 strut mounts I'm at -2.6º on the left. The right side is at -2.2º. The caster also increased to 7.9º and 7.1º. This cross camber/caster was noticed before when my car was stock. There must have been some accident at some point. I'm going to try and shim the right strut to adjust the camber and see if the caster evens out. Best scenario is camber plates, but they're also expensive. So for now this is how it is.  


I told them to set the front toe at 0.0º or a little toe out. I ended up with - 0.05º toe out which is cool. On there rear I should've left it at the factory settings of 0.21º toe in, but for whatever reason I said to put it at 0. They left is at 0.03º on one side and 0.07º on the other. So with less toe in the rear will be a little twitchy or maybe not at all. We shall see how this setup does on the track.

A lot of this is just trial and error for me. It would be nice to have the ability to change everything on the fly at the track and dial it all together, but I guess that will come with time and money, lots of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment