Tuesday, November 29, 2011

E36 SSI Under Panel

I picked up an SSI under panel from bimmerworld for like $100 last year around Christmas, but never got the chance to install it. There are a couple underpanels on the market. One being SSI and the other being an aluminum one from Motion Motorsports. I went with the SSI because of the sale and I thought the black plastic would be lighter and match better. The aluminum from MM can't weigh that much less or more and they do the same thing.


Not much to DIY here, just follow the directions. If you don't have the directions call bimmerworld and see if they have them. If that still doesn't work and you're here because you want to know how to install this thing, comment below and I can go over the instructions.

Here is what the texture looks like.


It's pretty basic. It's held in by 5 screws in the front and 3-4 more screws on the sides that hold the inner fender liner in. Mine were pretty busted up and the OE underpanel was long gone. I had lost my brake ducts twice on the track and now everything is buttoned up pretty tight. I replaced that duct and also swapped out the fog lights for blanks.


Another advantage is that the duct for the radiator relies on some flat panel underneath to force air up from the lower center grille. Only gripe I have, obviously, is removing it to drain the radiator or do anything up front. Takes about 10 minutes.

 

4 comments:

Dr. J said...

Hi,
So does this mount using the frame rails or does it just mount to the plastic like the stock undertray parts? I'd like to know how it compares to the MM undertray.

Pink said...

I didn't really research the MM panel until your comment, but it looks like the MM panel connect to the frame via brackets, but the SSI panel only connects to the existing plastic fender liners. So besides that and the studs on the MM panel for easier reassembly I'd say the MM is superior to the SSI. I've never had experience with the MM, just an observation.

Anonymous said...

This one looks cleaner and less likely to bend.

Anonymous said...

Mine has been on three different cars. Had a serious track crash that tore the front off the car and this was still usable.

Post a Comment