Saturday, February 20, 2010

ABS Light, Cluster Removal and Information

While at the track, during my instructor driven hot lap, it was brought to my attention that my car's ABS system was out. A few hard braking points here and there would cause the brakes to totally lock up. I was a little puzzled since there was no ABS light on the dash. Had to PO removed it? What's going on here?

Well today I decided to take a look. I removed the under panel beneath the glove box to make sure the ABS unit existed and was plugged in. It was.


Next I pulled the cluster out to take a look at the bulbs. It's pretty simple. All you have to do is remove the torx bolts at the top and pull it forward. I used a small torx set combined with a small socket wrench to get in there.


Use a plastic trim removal tool to get behind the cluster to bust it free. I got a set from ECS Tuning for under $10. They probably have them on ebay as well. There were three connectors on the back of my cluster. They came off without much trouble. There is no catch like on e30 clusters. Well at least not on mine, it's possible some clips were broken. You can get the cluster out without removing the steering wheel, it is cramped but doable.


Aha! There were plenty of bulbs missing. Mainly the ABS light and airbag light. It doesn't make me feel all too warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at some point the ABS system failed and the PO just took the light out. I know some people don't like ABS, but I doubt he disabled it. Probably more of a, "I'm lazy and cheap and don't need to fix my car," mentality which has shown up a couple times during some routine maintenance. But hey, can't complain about overall cosmetic condition, at least the PO's cared enough to keep that up.


There were a bunch of bulbs missing on the back. I took some off my spare e30 cluster to replace the ones which were missing. They had a little bigger housing, but they were the same wattage. I held the cluster up to the light and replaced the missing bulbs anywhere I saw an icon. I think I put them in "automatic trans warning" and "convertible roll-over" on accident. There was an icon on there and I didn't know what it was so a bulb went in. I guess they used the same cluster for autos and verts.


Here is a picture of the back of the motometer cluster and numbers of what goes where. I pulled the info from the forum. It's somewhat close to the VDO cluster. It seems to be different from mine as there are about three icons not really accounted for in this breakdown.


1: Temperature warning. 2: Right turn signal. 3: Left turn signal. 4: Oil pressure warning. 5: High-beam indicator. 6: Battery-charging indicator. 7: Low-fuel-level warning. 8/9/10: Gauge cluster illumination. 11: AST warning. 12/13: LCD/odometer illumination. 14: Air bag warning. 15: Catalytic converter warning. 16: Parking brake indicator. 17: Brake fluid warning. 18: Brake pad wear warning. 19: ABS warning. 20: Seatbelt warning. 21: System check control. 22: Automatic transmission warning. 23: Not enabled. 24: Check-engine warning. 25: Convertible anti-roll warning. 26: Not enabled. 27: Rear fog lamp. 28: Front fog lamp.

23. Says it is not enabled, but there are two arrows that look like the blinkers opposing each other. I could see an icon through there so I put a bulb in. It doesn't come up when you press the hazard, I don't know what it is? The other icons which I had no idea about and were possibly for euro cars.


Now my airbag light is nice and bright! ABS shows on at all times..... :( This is the first time I've done something to create more lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment