Friday, December 30, 2011

E36 M3 Setting More Front Static Camber With Shims

After getting my alignment done and noticing a difference of about 0.4º - 0.5º camber from side to side I decided I would try and fix that with a shim. From the computer alignment, my left front camber was -2.6º and the right front was -2.2º. This is using the reversed 96-99 strut mounts.

I had read about different ways to dial in front camber without camber kits from this definitive alignment guide on BFc. Generally taking everything I read on the forum with a grain of salt, I was reassured that shimming out the front struts was something that's been done before successfully by the fact that bimmerworld sells a little kit for this very purpose. That kit is about $24 more expensive that just getting washers, so I headed to the hardware store.


I took my caliper and found 2 washers that were 1.19mm. According to that guide that should give me 0.5º more camber. I don't know where those numbers came from, but that's all I had to go off of. I will most likely get one more alignment with this setup and I will post to see what the change in camber is.

Before No Shim

Shimmed

Since I only wanted to correct the one side that was off by about a half degree I only shimmed the right side. It's so tiny that visually it doesn't look like it's going to change 0.5º just from that, but I will have to see what the actual camber is with this shim before trying anything thicker. And since my car mainly sees the track I don't know how this would really work for the street having permanent front camber. Then again I wouldn't really be worried about the most front camber I can get on the street. :P It's purely for the minimizing tire rollover and maximizing front grip at the track.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey really nice to see you write such track specific write ups for E36. I too am needing to find more front camber. Did you ever end up aligning after this and finding out what sort of gains were yielded with this washer thickness?

Pink said...

I followed the guide from the link on bimmerforums. I have yet to actually test out what my thickness yielded. It seemed so small for .5 degrees, but I didn't want to do too much.

Post a Comment