Friday, December 30, 2011

Mishimoto Radiator E36 M3 Impressions

So my OE Behr radiator was leaking from the plastic caps on the side after a 100º+ track day at Willow Springs this summer. I decided to go with a Mishimoto all aluminum radiator because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay $500+ for a PWR or Fluidyne etc. They have deals for "open box" items on ebay for less than $160. It still comes with the lifetime warranty, I figured why not.

EDIT 01/12/12: I took the original radiator to a shop to see if indeed it was leaking and it turns out after a flush that it wasn't leaking at all. It was most likely just the upper radiator hose not being tight enough.


A few things to note. The area on the top of the radiator which is supposed to house the rubber mounting piece to accommodate the OE BMW plastic clips is too large. I made a little bracket out of aluminum and wedged it in there. The rubber mounting piece then fit snugly.


Also I would probably use teflon tape on the threads of the drain plug and fan switch. The threads are large and I did it for extra leak free precaution.


I took it on the track and everything has worked out so far. The fit is pretty close to stock. For me the right side was kind of higher than the original radiator but you can file down the bottom mounts to make it lower. Don't forget the rubber bushings for the bottom mounts. I forgot those at first and thought it fit like absolute shit, but then saw the rubber bushings on my old radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment